Research projects are developed both in partnership with private companies and with governmental funding.
Research in cooperation with international groups can also be carried out in the scope of the following working groups with which there is some cooperation: IFIP 5.5 (Collaborative Networks and Virtual Enterprises), IFIP 5.7 (Advanced Production & Management Systems), IFIP 5.12 (Architectures for Enterprise Integration); IFAC 5.3 (Enterprise Architecture); IEEE Industrial Agents.
All research projects are developed at GSIGMA – Group of Intelligent Manufacturing Systems ∑ Collaborative Networks.
The research and related projects are mostly concentrated on the areas of Collaborative Networks, Industry 4.0 and Systems Integration.
GSIGMA research focuses on how to establish, manage and offer computational and integration support to enterprises, particularly to collaborative networked organizations (CNOs), covering networks in the form of Virtual organization Breeding Environment (VBE), Virtual Enterprises (VE) / Virtual Organizations (VO), Supply Chains, Industrial Clusters and Districts.
The general objective in the study of VBEs and VE/VOs is to develop and implement methods, techniques, methodologies and computational systems that give support to the analysis, creation/deployment, operation management and dissolution of these types of CNOs, also involving logistics, management and general integration. Such networks can involve diverse sectors/areas, as manufacturing and (collaborative) innovation.
This general objective is developed in three perspectives, usually in a complementary way:
- management and business: the objective is to approach working and business models; innovation; business processes analyses and performance; and competence, collaboration and governance models.
- computing systems: the aim is to research, develop and implement methodologies and methods for the modeling of processes, information and knowledge; collaborative work and collaborative software development based on the Internet of Services, involving quality & software engineering for SOA/SaaS; and business, integration, interoperation and governance models. This comprises software & middleware, both to support the infrastructure and applications levels, throughout the VBE and VO/VE entire life cycles.
- Industry 4.0: it runs in parallel to the other perspectives, contributing with models for the organization, management, production, digital transformation, and integration / interoperation of systems for companies/industries, both when treated individually and as in networks.
General Research Areas
Business and Organization models, Processes Modeling, Integration / Interoperation in Service-oriented environments, Digital Transformation, Collaborative Innovation, Performance evaluation and performance indicators with simulation, directed to:
- Collaborative Networked Organizations (Virtual Organizations/Enterprises, Supply Chain Management and Integrated Logistics, Industrial / Organization Clusters, Breeding Environments for Virtual Enterprises).
- Industry 4.0.
- Ecosystems of software service providers.
Recent Research Topics
(developed in the supervision of Master’s and PhD students and with Post-Doctoral researchers)
- Digital Twin.
- Intelligent and adaptive industrial Chatbots & Softbots.
- Industrial data analysis (Analytics) with the use of Edge, Fog and Cloud Computing.
- Intelligent dynamic reconfiguration of manufacturing systems (shop floor).
- Modeling methodologies for Ciber-Physical Systems integration.
- Digital Transformation 4.0 methodologies.
- Model of Enterpreneurial University 4.0 within innovation ecosystem enviroments.
- Software estimation in SOA/Services-based systems.
- Resilience in large distributed SOA-based systems for Virtual Enterprises/Organizations.
- Collaborative Innovation in software ecosystems.
- Maturity and capability models for software companies with collaborative SOA solutions and SaaS.
- Methodologies for selecting software service providers in SOA solutions with dynamic discovery within software ecosystems.
- Methodology for the design of Breeding Environments for Virtual Enterprises/Organizations.
- Distributed Decision Support Systems for Virtual Enterprises/Organizations Management.
- Performance Indicators & Risk Analysis for Collaborative Networked Organizations.
- Governance in Collaborative Networked Organizations.
- Governance in SOA/SaaS.
- Methodology for creating Federations of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) Providers.
- Discovery and Service Composition in large distributed environments.
- Sematic-aware knowledge search in large distributed and unstructured environments.
- Process Quality / Capability & Maturity Model for SaaS.
- UBL (Universal Business Language) catalog support for BPM/SOA environments.
- Loosely-coupled integration models via semantic-aware ESB (Enterprise Service Bus).
- Methodology for the creation and derivation of industrial multi-agent systems.
A list of publications involving these research subjects can be accessed here.
- IFM – Institute Factory of Millenium (2003-2005)
- IFM-II (2006-2008)
Multiagent Systems-oriented Organization and Programming (2009-2012)
Collaborative Networked Organizations: Methods and Tools (2010-2013)
- Implementation of Virtual Enterprises in Molds and Dies Industries of Joinville (2012-2013)
- Support Models for the management of Virtual Enterprises (2013-2016)
Innovation ecosystems in the context of Collaborative Networked Organizations (2016-2018)
- Automation, Control and Computational Systems for Industry and Services 4.0 (2019-2022)
- Cimis.net (1995-1996)
- SCM+ (1996-1997)
- MASSYVE (1998-2000)
- PRODNET-II (1997-1999)
- DAMASCOS (2000-2001)
- VOmap (2002-2003)
- MyFashion.eu (2002-2004)
- SMART-fm (2004-2005)
- Capes-Cofecub (2003-2005)
- ECOLEAD (2004-2008)